Friday, October 28, 2011

Sept. 24th after 5:30 Show

Bertie Ferdman: This is the second time I saw it and the first time I saw it I wanted to figure out where the dancers were. So, I’m curious what are you looking at or for?

A: Eye contact – I was watching for who was making eye contact and thinking maybe they were a performer.

BF: So you were looking for eye contact that would identify people as performers?

A: Yes

BF: Did you figure it out?

A: Sort of. Also, I looked for facial expressions. You could tell the ones that felt more comfortable, who was here for the first time and who has been doing the movements.

Zoe Schieber (dancer): Did you feel more comfortable when you saw an audience member participating?

A: It took a while, not initially. I felt like I wasn’t part of it until someone directly involved me.

Noemie Lafrance: Did you feel before that you were restrained by your internal boundaries? If you weren’t listening to your internal boundaries would you have joined? Were you tempted?

A: I would have retreated into the wall if it was up to me.

BF: Were you looking for something to happen? And if so, did something happen and did it matter?

A: It doesn’t matter and it didn’t matter. I enjoyed seeing where it went and watching people’s faces and choices.

BF: Where it went?

A: I don’t know, the show probably goes somewhere different every time.

BF: Was there a show? Are you content with coming?

A: Yes. I was looking for something, but I don’t know.

A: Collectively, when everyone danced, that was the turning point where my internal boundaries were gone. And everyone felt comfortable.

NL: At the very end? At the 1,2,3,4 part?

BF: Did you ever feel if you participate then you’re being observed, so then I don’t want to do that? You go to watch others, so did you feel pressured since you were going to be observed?

A: There was an ‘oh shit’ moment, when I wondered if we were supposed to be participating. I just wanted to watch!

BF: Were there things that you wanted to happen, but didn’t happen? What would you have added or changed?

A: More dance moves more the dancers.

NL: So in a way then, you didn’t feel satisfied and the participation didn’t give you license to move?

A: I enjoyed it, but it felt like an exercise in participation instead of the whole thing being a dance experience.

BF: Did others feel this way?

A: I’ve been to many, and I enjoy the audience participation. I assume everyone is a dancer. I would like to see the technique and some larger dance moves above and beyond the crowd.

A: I like the opposite because then there isn’t the threat of being shown up or left out. It’s safe and playful. But there was a shifting moment where everyone was out here, and people out there were humming. It felt like the performers were the audience. They were very much watching what everyone else was doing. It was such an interesting flip to see all of a sudden.

A: It was a grand social experiment. How to get people to do stuff is the installation side. I think we’re gullible. I’d say it’s on the dance side, but definitely more on the installation side, which is great.

A: From the get go I’d feel more able to participate if the space felt like a different place. It felt like a part of the gallery and thus we’re all casual. If it was almost like a ritualistic entry way and then I’d feel less like my normal personality and maybe more willing to participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment